Life Extension, Enhanced Fernblock with Red Orange Complex, 30 Vegetarian Capsules
|Enhanced Fernblock® with Red Orange Complex|
30 Vegetarian Capsules
Item Catalog Number: 01728
Sunscreens do not always offer complete protection against ultraviolet exposure.1,2 Scientists have discovered that an extract of the fern Polypodium leucotomos helps inhibit cellular changes in the skin that can lead to premature aging due to sun exposure.3 Taken orally, Enhanced FernBlock® with Red Orange Complex provides an additional layer of support for the body''s ultraviolet light defenses. Best of all, Polypodium leucotomos offers this protection from the inside out. The result is an oral photoprotective agent that provides uniform, systemic, total-body surface protection (including the eyes, lips, and the scalp), without the problems associated with sunscreen.4,5
FernBlock® has shown remarkable effectiveness in promoting skin defenses against harmful solar radiation.3,6-9 FernBlock® works by promoting the body''s ability to inhibit absorption of ultraviolet rays and to quench the free radicals that this type of radiation can generate.6,7 In one clinical study, Polypodium leucotomos offered significant protection against the sun''s rays, even for those taking medication that causes increased sun sensitivity.10 The study subjects experienced an almost three-fold increase in the amount of time they spent in the sun before their skin began to burn compared to when they weren''t using any form of UV protection.10
This product has been upgraded to contain Red Orange Complex, a standardized extract that is obtained from three red orange varieties— Citrus sinensis var. Moro, Tarocco, and Sanguinello.
The main active phenolic compounds include anthocyanins, flavanones, and hydroxycinnamic acids. It also includes vitamin C,11 which works to support the body''s natural photoprotection against ultraviolet radiation,12,13 by helping to balance the body''s normal inflammation response,14 free-radical defense mechanism,15 and healthy apoptotic (cell death) activity.15 In a controlled human trial, fifteen days of oral supplementation with Red Orange Complex was demonstrated to measurably support natural skin defenses against ultraviolet radiation.13
Enhanced Fernblock® with Red Orange Complex is designed to complement topical sunscreens for sun exposure. Taken orally, FernBlock® supplements the effectiveness of topical sunscreens by protecting the entire skin surface and has an obvious advantage in that it cannot be removed by perspiring or bathing.
1. Am J Prev Med. 2004 Dec 27(5):422-66.
2. Dermatol Ther. 2012 May-Jun 25(3):244-51.
3. J Dermatol Sci. 2003 Jun 32(1):1-9.
4. Br J Dermatol. 2011 Aug 165(2):255-62.
5. Available at: http://www.ewg.org/2012sunscreen/sunscreens-exposed/nanomaterials-and-hormone-disruptorsin-sunscreens/ . Accessed April 8, 2013.
6. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/excite/skincancer/mod10.htm Accessed April 8, 2013.
7. Drugs Today (Barc). 2007 Jul 43(7):475-85.
8. Photochem Photobiol Sci. 2010 Apr 9(4):559-63.
9. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004 Dec 51(6)910-8.
10. Photodermatol Photoimmunol Photomed.1997 Feb 13(1-2):50-60.
11. Phytother Res. 2010 24:414-8.
12. Int J Cosmetic Sci. 1998 20:331-42.
13. Bionap Report. Santa Venerina, CT, Italy, 2008.
14. Nat Prod Res. 2010 September 20 24(15):1469-80.
15. BioFactors. 2007 30:129-38.
Serving Size 1 vegetarian capsule
Servings Per Container 30
|Amount Per Serving|
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid from Red Orange Complex)
FernBlock® Polypodium leucotomos extract (leaf)
Red Orange Complex
Sicilian red oranges (Citrus sinensis var. Moro, Sanguinello, Tarocco) extract (fruit and peel)
Other ingredients: corn starch, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable cellulose (capsule), maltodextrin, vegetable stearate, silica.
FernBlock® is a registered trademark of Industrial Farmaceutica Cantabria, S.A.
|Dosage and Use|
- Take one capsule in the morning, with or without food, 30 minutes prior to sun exposure, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
- Take an additional capsule in the afternoon if exposed to sunlight.
This product is not a sunscreen.
Use topical sunscreens whenever exposed to sunlight. This product is not a sunscreen.
|- || |
Keep out of reach of children.
|- || |
Do not exceed recommended dose.
|- || |
Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged. .
|- || |
When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if your are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
Product photo may not exactly match the product offered for sale. Please refer to the product description.